The Rocky Mountain Pacific is Bruce's Fn3 garden layout. Fn3 uses 45 mm (typical garden railroad) gauge track and a 1:20.3 scale ratio to model accurately 3 foot narrow gauge railroads.
The name is registered with the NMRA. It came from the idea of southwestern Colorado narrow-gauge railroads that were always short of cash and long on ideas. Everybody seemed to be planning on running to the coast or Mexico, when really they didn't have enough cash to get over the next hill!
The reporting marks for the Rocky Mountain Pacific are RMP. That can also stand for Real Money Pit.
This is being built in our back yard here in Goodyear AZ. It will use an NCE 10 amp radio DCC system.
On June 10, 2015, I finished a scratch built culvert for the final bridge I need to complete the main layout. The mine-to-stamp-mill track needs a replacement. That’ll come later.
Here is a photo of the culvert. I’ll be taking it to the AZ division NMRA meet this weekend to show. Then, it will be installed on the layout.
After showing it at the Arizona division NMRA meet on June 13, 2015, it is now installed and ballasted on the RMP upstream from the patio. In the photo (below), you can see the old rail - hopefully to be weathered by exposure to the elements in Arizona - holding back boulders and rocks to allow drainage into the wash without loosing fill or ballast.
In the lower right area of the track plan, the two main tracks cross over a ravine. This ravine will carry rainfall runoff from the layout, as well as providing a visually interesting section.
I built this culvert to carry the rainwater under the tracks. The photo below is of the upstream side (away from most viewers). The downstream side does not have the angled wing walls, but short straight ones, as can be seen in the background.
After showing it at the Arizona division NMRA meet yesterday, it is now installed and ballasted on the RMP near the patio. The photo above shows the upstream side with the 30˚ wing walls. The patio, below, is on the downstream side where the ballast is retained with old rails and boulders.
My proto-lanced Rocky Mountain Pacific railroad needs to store MOW supplies (spikes, plates, hardware and tools) along the pike. This shed was built to fulfill that need. The design was based on normal construction techniques with a few modifications to withstand life on a garden railroad.
I scratch built a short (one-bent) trestle for the main track crossing over the stream bed. The stream runs up and down on the drawing below to the right of the yard.
I will be showing it at the NMRA AZ Division meet on June 13, 2015.
Here is a photo of it taken in the studio, as it won’t be installed on the layout until after the meet.
The design was adapted from drawings in the Model Railroader book Model Railroad Bridges & Trestles (PP124, 125).
I did find one design flaw in the book drawing. The wing walls were positioned so that they would keep the dirt, etc. from holding up the footers at each end of the trestle. I redesigned them to fix that issue.
The weather has gotten warmer, but there is still some cool time in the morning to spend an hour or two on the leveling and grading.
Got the wiring done on both loops now. Wrote a column about how I did it for the July 2015 issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist.
Here is how I used landscape staples to keep wire buried.
The first photo shows the wire as it laid on the ground.
In the second photo the trench is dug, the wire placed and the staple started into the ground - look for the shadow of the staple.
The third photo shows the staple seated.
Int the last photo you can see the end of the brush that was used to sweep the dirt back over the wire.
I finally found the software that will allow me to draw my track plan as I want it to be on my Apple Mac computers. I have it on my MacBook Pro, so that I can go out to the yard and measure and input the data directly, instead of running between the office and the back yard as I was doing previously. I also have it on my iMac in the office, so I can use the dual screens and increased resolution to enhance and label things.
The software is know as Railmodeler Pro and is available in the Apple App store.
Here is the first pass of the layout. I have NOT tried to be totally accurate, but to show the relative relationship of the various track elements. Click on the image for a larger view.
The red track is the outer loop (mainline). The green track is the auto-reversing section, both a teardrop loop and a wye. The blue track is the inner loop (town)
As the structures and operations plans evolve, I’ll be posting revised versions of the track plan with more details.
The good weather held - highs only in the 70s and a bit of rain one evening (actually, quite a bit - ½ inch). Thus, I was able to get all of the drops connected to the rails on the entire layout. There are a couple of sub-buses to install in the yard and a few drops left to solder to the bus in the inner loop.
Since I needed to re-lay the track to the depots (freight and passenger), I actually went ahead and graded it and leveled it.
Look for the information on how this wiring was done in my July 2015 column in Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine.
Well, last winter slipped away without getting any major work done. Yes, winter. Here in Arizona, I don’t work on my railroad during the late spring, summer or early fall.
This winter, I had plans to get the track work done. A bout with shingles in my leg torpedoed those plans and I’m just getting back to where I can work on it as the temps are rising.
This week I got back to wiring the outer loop. Once that is done, I can level (right to left) and grade the track.
Back in September, I got an iPhone. I was playing with the panorama-photo mode of iOS8. Here is my photo of the layout at that point in time.